8 Properties of Extra Virgin Olive Oil That You Should Know, It is said extra virgin olive oil and breast milk are equivalent by some experts.
This miraculous oil has many benefits. It is an endless source for our health and beauty. As in all matters, there are mistakes that are known right about natural extra virgin olive oil. It has some features that we don’t know. We have listed them under eight headings.
1. We don’t know where to store them after purchasing. Storage conditions are very important for extra virgin olive oil. Heat differences can occur in the kitchens because of owen and stove usage. That’s why we don’t recommend storing them around the owen and stove. It should be storeaged in dark or low lighted places. Finally, you should store your olive oil in dark glass bottles or cans.
2. Shelf and usage time of extra virgin olive oil depends on storage conditions. If we provide the right storage conditions for it (as mentioned above), the unopened oil can stay fresh for 2 years. If the product is opened, it should be consumed within 6 months.
3. The usage areas of extra virgin olive oil are the most curious and wrong known topics. It can be used in all dishes; especially on salads, cold snacks, and as a last touch for your hot dishes, to dip your bread in it at your breakfasts and for your skin or hair maks that you prepared in your home.
4. There are many missing informations about the colour of extra virgin olive oil. We usually think that the greener one is more pure and beautiful. Once upon a time this wrong information was presented to people by someone. We can call it as a communication error. Let’s tell you the truth. You can understand good olive oil from its scent and taste. The colour of the oil differs from the tree to the type of fruit. It can be in many colors. Olive oil can be obtained in many shades from yellow to green.
5. Why does natural olive oil have a bitter taste? Bitter taste of a product doesn’t sound good. But this bitter taste is not the same with a spoiled product. This bitter taste comes from the healing of olive and its oil. The polyphenol substance is the reason for this bitter taste. This bitter taste doesn’t go down to your stomach and doesn’t stay on your palate for a long time. It may be stale and fake if it tastes sour or similar.
6. How is such a pure product obtained? Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil is obtained during its harvest period by applying cold press technique (without exposure to high heat) on the same day of picking them from the tree branches without wasting time. It does not go through any chemical processes and the preparation of it in its own naturalness preserves the purity of the product.
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil has the lowest acid ratio than the others. Correct harvest period, using undamaged olives, turning the fruit into the oil on the same day are the reasons for this.
8. Extra virgin olive oil is the oil that has the highest vitamin and mineral ratio than other olive oils. Vitamins E, K, A and D are high in extra virgin olive oil. It is said that being a product rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium, sulphur, calcium, phosphorus, copper, manganese and iron makes it equivalent to breast milk.